Wednesday 13 March 2019

Welcome to Contemporary Author - Julie Ryan

I’m delighted to welcome Julie Ryan to my blog.




Hello Julie,
It was great to connect with you through the Romantic Novelists’ Association. Over the years, I’ve found the RNA to be a wonderful group in which to meet lots of fellow authors and affiliate members, all of whom are eager to share exciting news about books.
Here are a few questions which will hopefully give your readers an insight into some of the things that matter to you.

Arabella: How did you get your first novel published?
Julie: I actually self-published my first novel, Jenna’s Journey, without submitting it to a publisher. This was for two reasons; I was terrified of rejection and thought if a few people liked it, it would give me confidence and secondly, I was impatient and didn’t want to wait maybe two years for my book to see the light of day, if at all. In the end, I did submit to a publisher and it came out as an e-book and paperback, which gave me a huge thrill. Sadly, the publisher closed their doors and it was back to self-publishing, having learnt an awful lot along the way.

Arabella: A slice of Chocolate Cake, a piece of Fruit, or Burger and Fries?
Julie: If you knew me, it would be chocolate cake all the way!!!

Arabella: In your latest release, Finding Rose, who is your favourite character and why?
Julie: In ‘Finding Rose’, part of the book is set during WW1 as we see the horrors through the eyes of Matthew, who signed up as a 17 year old. His story was inspired by my grandfather and I think of it as a tribute to him. It reminds us of the huge debt we owe to all those young people. Sadly he died when I was six so I never got to talk to him about his experiences.



Arabella: What inspires you to write in your genre?
Julie: I love reading contemporary romance, historical fiction and mystery/crime so my books are a combination of all those genres. It makes my books different but also hard to market.

Arabella: When writing a book or chapter, which is most important to you: plot, character, or setting?
Julie: For the Greek Island mysteries, the setting played a huge part and is just as important as the characters or plot. For me everything else evolves from the setting.

Arabella: Which do you prefer to wear: slippers, stilettos, pumps, or boots?
Julie: Slippers – but I do have standards and change if I go out.


Arabella: When writing a novel, how do you work? Are you a plotter or pantser?
Julie: A bit of both really. I start with a very rough plot and a couple of characters but by the “end” the finished product usually bears little resemblance to the original idea. I admire people who can plot out their book in every chapter but it’s not how I work. I quite like the idea that my book evolves as I write and I really have no idea how it’s going to end.

Arabella: What about your future plans? Any books or series in the making?
Julie: I’m currently writing a play for our local amateur dramatic society to perform. Then it’s onwards with a new series set in Greece.


Julie, Thank you for joining me on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat. It’s good to know you think ahead and change your footwear when going out…
And your new mystery series set in Greece sounds exciting. I can’t wait to read about sandy beaches, a bronzed hero, and the Greek's national drink…ouzo!

Arabella Sheen
About Julie Ryan

Julie Ryan’s roots are in a small mining village in South Yorkshire. After a degree in French Language and Literature, wanderlust kicked in and she lived and worked in France, Poland, Thailand and Greece. Her spirit enriched, her imagination fired, Julie started a series of mystery romances; thrillers set in the Greek Isles. She has also written a Christmas rom-com and her latest work, Finding Rose, is a contemporary novel with a strong historical element.

A prolific and well-known book review blogger, Julie does her writing and reviewing from rural Gloucestershire, where she lives with her husband, son and rescue cat. She manages to write a book a year although without their help, she would probably write more quickly. She is a book addict and will soon need either a bigger house for her collection or a new husband!

When not writing or reading or eating chocolate, she can be found treading the boards in the local amateur dramatic society – Oh yes she can!

Julie’s Social Media Links are:



Finding Rose  - Blurb

When three sisters, Ginny, Sally and Molly are brought together at their father’s hospital bed, they are forced to confront not only the prospect of a future without him but also the secrets of the past that have kept them apart.

Their father, Eddie Matthews, drugged up on morphine, seems to be rambling but could he, in fact, be reliving previous lives as a Tudor monk and as a soldier on the Front in WW1? Struggling to speak he reveals that he has a secret and urges his daughters to ‘Find Rose’. Can the sisters put aside their differences to fulfil his last wish?


Buy link:
Finding Rose Buy the book here





1 comment:

  1. It was lovely to have you on the blog sharing your news, Julie.
    I'm not sure about the heels on the slippers...but hey, a lady's got to wear what a lady's got to wear. :)

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Regency Romance - Arabella Sheen

  Writing a Regency romance can be a delightful endeavor! Here are some key elements to keep in mind: 1. Historical Accuracy : Research the...