Wednesday 8 January 2020

Welcome to Romance Author - Kaylie Newell


I’m delighted to welcome Kaylie Newell to my blog.


Hello Kaylie – It was great to connect through our mutual romance publisher, Beachwalk Press although today, I believe you have chosen to feature your latest release, a TulePublishing Group book, Christmas at Sleigh Bell Farm.
We are all eager to get to learn a little bit more about you and your writing, so here are a few questions which will hopefully give your readers and followers an insight into some of the things that matter to you.

Arabella: Authors can release books, making them available to readers in various ways…via an agent, or working directly with a traditional publisher, or they can even go the self-publishing route. Which method of publishing do you prefer, and why?
Kaylie: I have huge respect for indie authors, because not only do they have to write the books, but they also have to take care of the business side of publishing, which is a lot.  The learning curve is significant, and I’ve always known that for me, I’m better at writing the stories, and handing everything else over to my publisher.  I’d rather write than deal with the formatting, marketing, etc.  But I know a lot of authors who balance it all very well.  It’s just a personal preference.

Arabella: A slice of Chocolate Cake, a piece of Fruit, or Burger and Fries?
Kaylie: A slice of chocolate cake! 100% ;)


Arabella: Who or what inspired you to write your latest release, Christmas at Sleigh Bell Farm?
Kaylie: I’m a huge fan of Hallmark Christmas movies, so I’d say those were my biggest inspiration.  It’s my hope that people who read Christmas at Sleigh Bell Farm might see it playing out like a Hallmark movie in their head.  I just love the warm feeling Christmas movies leave you with.

Arabella: If the person of your dreams, (husband/wife/partner/or superstar), were to take you out for the night, where would they take you and what would you do?
Kaylie: They’d take me to a Stephen King reading.  Hands down!  He’s my favorite author of all-time, and I’d love to see him in person someday. And then we’d have to go for dessert afterwards.  Chocolate cake, of course!

Arabella: Currently, what is your most favourite T.V. programme, and why?
Kaylie: I’m re-watching The Golden Girls.  I have a real soft spot for nostalgic 80’s sitcoms that take me back to my childhood.  Wings is next, followed by Designing Women, and I Love Lucy (that one was a little before my time, but I grew up watching it anyway.  My oldest daughter is named after Lucille Ball).

Lucille Ball

Arabella: When writing a book or chapter, which do you concentrate on first: plot, character, or setting?
Kaylie: I’d have to say setting.  I love world building- it’s the most fun for me.  After I get a feel for the world, everything else tends to fall into place.

Arabella: How do you research your novels and characters?
Kaylie: I do a lot of Googling (and when researching sexy heroes, that’s not a tough job).  YouTube really helped with my latest book- my hero runs an animal sanctuary, and has a sick donkey on his hands.  I had to watch several videos about how to tube feed donkeys.

Arabella: What advice would you give to someone who is starting out on their writing journey?
Kaylie: I think the best advice I can give is to write most every day, but in realistic chunks.  300 words is the goal I started with, and it grew from there.  It’s a manageable amount- I’d say most people could get that in under 30 minutes.  But if you do it most every day, you’ll have a book before you know it!  Also, don’t underestimate the power of a good contest.  I love contests, and can credit them with taking me to the next level in my writing career.


Thank you for joining me on Arabella's Blog and Chit-Chat, Kaylie. I was fascinated to learn about your YouTube research and the feeding tube. In your shoes, I think I would have been tempted to change the plot.
Good luck with your novel Christmas at Sleigh Bell Farm and keep the words flowing.
All the best, and wishing you lots more happy-ever-after writing.
Arabella Sheen


About Kaylie Newell

For Kaylie Newell, storytelling is in the blood. Growing up the daughter of two writers, she knew eventually she'd want to follow in their footsteps. While she's written short stories her whole life, it wasn't until after her kids were born that she decided to shoot for the moon and write her first romance novel. She's now the proud author of over a dozen books, including the RITA finalists, Christmas at The Graff and Tanner's Promise.

Kaylie lives in Southern Oregon with her husband, two daughters, a blind Doberman, and two indifferent cats.


Social Media:


Book Blurb: Christmas at Sleigh Bell Farm

"Lucky" Elliott is the country boy next door – charismatic, handsome and charming. But when he has to drop out of vet school to try and rescue his grandparents’ Marietta-based sleigh ride business and family farm, Lucky faces his hardest struggle yet.

Podcaster Rachel O'Rourke is done with broken hearts, but she can still find joy in other people's happily-ever-afters. When she holds a contest on her show for the best first kiss story, her bruised heart beats a little faster when she reads Lucky's submission. He doesn't have a story, but his grandparents do, and free advertising for the winner is just what he's looking for.

As they start spending time on the farm, Rachel finds herself not only drawn to the sweet setting, but also to the man. But when a real estate developer sets his sights on the Elliott land, Lucky will have to decide if the money means security for his family, or if he'll fight for Sleigh Bell with Rachel by his side.

BUY LINKS:
Amazon US:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forbidden Stowaway - Arabella Sheen - EXCERPT 2

   Chapter One - Excerpt 2 Olivia was taken to the back of the tavern, where the landlady pulled aside a dark velvet curtain to reveal a ro...