Wednesday 20 November 2019

Welcome to Chick-Lit Author - Sasha Lane

I’m delighted to welcome Sasha Lane to my blog.


Hello Sasha - It was wonderful to connect with you through the Romantic Novelists’ Association. I’ve met some fantastic authors via the RNA – and it’s always a pleasure to host them and their latest book on this blog. But before we get to hear about your latest release, Girl. Always and Forever, here are a few questions which will hopefully give your readers an insight into some of the things that matter to you.


Arabella: Authors can release books, making them available to readers in various ways…via an agent, or working directly with a traditional publisher, or they can even go the self-publishing route. Which method of publishing do you prefer, and why?
Sasha: I have self published all four of my books and this has worked well for me.  The positives I have found are that you are in control of everything. You can see you vision through from start to finish and it’s exactly how you want it to be.  The hard part of self publishing is the marketing. As an author you want to spend your time writing books but a huge part of your time is spent getting your books out there for readers to find.

Arabella: A slice of Chocolate Cake, a piece of Fruit, or Burger and Fries?
Sasha: A piece of fruit.  I’m vegetarian and I love fruit so am always eating it!



Arabella: Who or what inspired you to write your latest release, ‘Girl, Always and Forever’?
Sasha: I initially wrote a trilogy about a character called Emma, a girl in her thirties trying to make sense of life, but after the trilogy readers were asking for another book from this character.  I turned forty this year so thought it would be fun to write one last story about the character, Emma, as she also turns forty.  I guess this was a bit more of a personal story for me, and I’ve actually included a few real life experiences that I have had in the book.

Arabella: If the person of your dreams, (husband/wife/partner/or superstar), were to take you out for the night, where would they take you and what would you do?
Sasha: I love New York, so for me it would be a trip to the top of the Empire state building to look out at the fabulous view across New York city – preferably at night so it’s all lit up and sparkling – followed by cocktails.


Arabella: Currently, what is your most favourite T.V. programme, and why?
Sasha: I’m watching a series called ‘FBI’. Crime is also a huge passion for me as I have a Criminology degree so I find myself watching Crime on television more than anything else.  I love fictional crime TV and also love true crime documentaries – I’m not sure what that says about me!

Arabella: When writing a book or chapter, which do you concentrate on first: plot, character, or setting?
Sasha: I always write the last chapter first.  When I start writing a book I know how I want the story to end so writing the last chapter initially helps me focus on the character’s journey.  I then go right back to the beginning and write the first chapter – the rest of the book may be written out of order and then rejigged but I always start with the last chapter then the first.

Arabella: How do you research your novels and characters?
Sasha: I’ve based my characters on a number of experiences – real life for me and my friends, television and films that I’ve watched, plus books that I’ve read.  I’ve tried to make my characters just everyday people that readers can hopefully associate with.

Arabella: What advice would you give to someone who is starting out on their writing journey?
Sasha: Write from the heart; write about what you want and in the way that is best for you. I write in first person despite loads of research telling me to write in third person.  I find it easier for me to tell the story from the main character’s perspective.  Write for your own enjoyment above anything else - You have to love your own work.


Thank you for joining me on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat, Sasha. It was kind of you to share some of your writing secrets with us. I'll have to try your technique of writing the last chapter first and see where it takes me. :)
Best wishes, and good luck with your latest release, Girl, Always and Forever.
Arabella Sheen




About  Sasha Lane
Although the main character is completely fictional, she does bare some of the characteristics that I do, and I’ve actually included in the last two books, some true stories as some of the funny things that happen to Emma have unfortunately happened to me in real life too, but that’s also part of my writing style – I can laugh at myself, and add humour into the stories.
I always wanted to write a series about a character as I hate it when you get to the end of a book, close the last page, and that’s it – it feels like you’ve lost a friend.  I love the fact that the series follows Emma’s life over a period of eight years and really lets the reader get to know her, and see how her character grows over the four books.
It’s a romantic comedy that addresses serious life issues.  Throughout all of my books I wanted to write about everyday issues that women face.  I hope that this helps readers to connect with the characters and their storyline, and associate with some of the topics that I raise.  I keep the books light-hearted, and with humour, despite some more serious storylines, as I want them to be an enjoyable, fun read, and a bit of escapism from reality for my readers.
Sasha Lane’s books can be found locally in the Chronicle Bookshop, Barnsley, or online at Amazon.com and Waterstones.com.

SOCIAL MEDIA:
Twitter: @sashalaneauthor




BOOK BLURB:  Girl, Always and Forever

Emma is turning forty, and that’s when everything in life falls in to place, right? Apparently not.
As Emma moves into a beautiful new house with her lovely boyfriend, Joe, she feels that life couldn’t get more perfect. But perfection is short lived as Emma’s friend’s relationships all start falling apart at the seams, with adultery and mid-life crisis wreaking havoc.
Joe is also given a promotion at work meaning he is away from home in London, leaving Emma alone and under pressure to keep everything together.
Joe‘s new found love for life in the big city, and his close relationship with his new work colleague, Karen, leave Emma questioning everything.
Is she destined to follow in the footsteps of her friends, or will she and Joe stand the test of time?
Hilarious, heart-warming and romantic! Will Emma find her happy ever after? An addictive read that is perfect for fans of Bridget Jones and for lovers of romantic comedy novels by Sophie Kinsella, Paige Toon, and Lindsey Kelk.

BUY LINK:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing a Regency Romance - Arabella Sheen

  Writing a Regency romance can be a delightful endeavor! Here are some key elements to keep in mind: 1. Historical Accuracy : Research the...