Wednesday 22 January 2020

Welcome to Romance Author - Giulia Skye


I’m delighted to welcome Giulia Skye to my blog.

Giulia Skye

Hello Giulia, Thank you for joining me on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat today. It’s been wonderful connecting with you through the Romantic Novelists’ Association. Such a fabulous group of novelists, writers, and affiliates. Everyone’s so willing to help and be supportive…which I expect you’ve already encountered.
But…before we discover more about - When Adam Met Evie - here are a few questions which will hopefully give your readers an insight into some of the things that matter to you.

Arabella: How did you manage to get your first novel published and what did you learn from the experience?
Giulia:  At first, I started to go down the traditional publishing route. I pitched When Adam Met Evie to an agent at the 2018 RNA Conference and was delighted to sign with her a couple of months later. However, it didn’t work out between us and when she – very amicably, I must add – broke off our agreement I had such a huge sense of relief. The termination of that contract was the best thing that could have happened to my writing. It didn’t work out between myself and the agent because I wanted to retain full control of my work and I did not share her vision for my novel. Self-publishing has always interested me, I just didn’t think a newbie author could do it. How wrong I was! What followed was a year of learning all that I could about the self-publishing industry. The more I learned, the more I became passionate about it – and my confidence as a writer-businesswoman grew. The moment I decided to “just go for it” and begin my indie author journey was hugely liberating. The most important thing I’ve learnt about the experience is to listen to my instincts and have faith in my skills. I asked myself what I truly wanted and the answer was quite simply “to be at home for my children and to work for myself”. I’m doing exactly that now and I’m extremely grateful for it.

Arabella: If you could choose, which would it be: A walk in the woods, a walk along a beach front to dip your toes in the sea, or a day shopping for clothes?
Giulia: I love the woods, mountains, forests – any place outdoors really – but my favourite is being by the sea. I’m half Italian and my mediterrean blood just cries out for the beach and a blast of heat!


Arabella: Who or what inspired you to write your latest release, When Adam Met Evie?
Giulia: While backpacking in Australia a few years ago, my husband and I took a nightbus down the Queensland coast which brought to mind my favourite film, It Happened One Night (Capra , 1934). I’ve always been a sucker for a road trip movie and so the germ of the idea that I should write a road trip romance began to evolve – albeit very slowly! I started writing the novel about 8 years later. I chose to set the majority of the novel in the Kimberleys (north Western Australia) because my hero, Adam, is a runaway celebrity travelling incognito, so the story relied heavily on him being “hidden” from the outside world. The Kimberleys is an imaginably vast and isolated area – and more importantly for my story – it had little to zero mobile phone reception! This was also an area my husband and I travelled in. I really enjoyed researching the area further when I wrote the novel, and I loved looking back at my travel photos, too. It brought back so many happy, carefree memories. I’ve put the photos on my website if anyone wants to take a look.

It Happened One Night

Arabella: Where do you read? Sofa or bed or ____?
Giulia: In bed usually, or sometimes on the sofa after the kids have gone to sleep. I prefer reading on paper but pretty much everything I read is now on Kindle because it’s so much easier. Also, my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be so it’s great being able to make the font larger!

Arabella: Some authors write at first light, others need a mug of coffee or a glass of wine before putting pen to paper. When writing, are there any “essentials” you need to help the words flow?
Giulia: I need peace and quiet! As I have young children, I write mainly when they’re at school. I do my “day job” (consulting for TV productions) mainly from home too so I juggle kids, writing and TV work together. Somehow things get done. Usually.

Arabella: You’re halfway through the work-in-progress, you’re about to kill off the hero and there is going to be no happy-ever-after. In other words, you’re stuck! If you had to contact an “author/publisher/editor friend” for guidance, who would it be?
Giulia: As a member of the RNA I have made such wonderful writer friends so my first point of contact is always my own network of writers – published and unpublished – who always offer great advice because they are all readers and lovers of romance.

Arabella: The T.V. is on and you’re in control of the remote. Which is it to be: A quiz programme…An afternoon of sport…A family soap…A romantic film you always wanted to see but missed when it was shown at the cinema?
Giulia: A romantic film wins everytime! I’ve spent the past two decades working in TV production but ironically – other than the children’s programmes I sit through with my kids - I don’t watch much TV at all! I do like watching films though, but only the ones with a happy ending. I’m likely to throw that remote control across the room if I’ve just spent the best part of two hours watching a film only for the heroine to die at the end.

Arabella: Do you have any great writing, publishing, or marketing tips you’d like to share to “want-to-be” authors starting out on their writing journey?
Giulia: Keep going! Even when the words don’t flow, just keep writing. It’s advice I forget to listen to myself sometimes, but it’s true.  The only way your book is going to get written is by you writing it! Also, don’t despair about how bad your first drafts are. Bad pages can be made good! It took me years to believe this, after all, how many bad pages do we actually ever get to see? We have no way of knowing how many times our favourite authors edit their writing. This is why I put together a Behind-the-Scenes look at how I wrote When Adam Met Evie. It includes my terrible first drafts of key scenes, and how I edited and re-edited to get them to a level I was happy with. I used to believe that writers wrote pages and pages of wonderful prose first time. But no. Writing is re-writing!


Giulia, it was great having you as a guest on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat. I hope your readers and followers have enjoyed reading about your inspiring Australian adventures and also learning from some of the writing secrets you’ve shared. Having visited your website, I must say I love your “Random Thoughts” page.
Good luck with your latest release, When Adam Met Evie and wishing you lots more happy-ever-after writing in 2020.
Arabella Sheen


About Giulia Skye

Giulia Skye
Italian-born Giulia Skye spent her childhood watching classic Hollywood films and thinking up her own romantic stories. After two decades working in TV production, she knew turning those stories into novels would be much more enjoyable - and far cheaper – than turning them into films. She still keeps her hand in TV production but is at her happiest being a stay-at-home mum, spending time with her family, growing her own vegetables, and conjuring up sizzling stories about sexy heroes meeting feisty heroines who aren’t always as they at first appear. When Adam Met Evie is her first novel, Book 1 of her “Take a Holiday” series.

GIULIA’S WEBSITE:  www.giuliaskye.com

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:



BOOK BLURB:
When former Olympic Swimmer, Michael Adams—now reluctantly Canada’s hottest reality TV star— insults his fake showbiz wife on social media, he escapes the ensuing scandal and jumps on the first flight to Australia. Desperate to experience ordinary life again—if only for a few weeks—he becomes “Adam”, just another tourist traveling through the Outback. But with a reward out for his safe return and his fame’s nasty habit of catching up with him when he least expects, he needs a disguise… and he’s just found it.

Sweet and scruffy British backpacker, Evie Blake, is taking a year out of her busy London life. Tired of lies and liars, she’s looking for adventure to heal her broken heart. So when the hot Canadian she meets at the campground offers to be her travel partner through Western Australia’s wild Kimberley region, she grabs the chance, unaware he’s got the world out looking for him.

He’s just a down-on-his-luck traveler, right?

RELEASE DATE:  Friday 7th February 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing a Regency Romance - Arabella Sheen

  Writing a Regency romance can be a delightful endeavor! Here are some key elements to keep in mind: 1. Historical Accuracy : Research the...