Wednesday 18 November 2020

Welcome to RNA - NWS member - Kate Baker

I’m delighted to welcome Kate Baker, a New Writers’ Scheme member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, to my blog.



For those unfamiliar with the RNA - New Writers’ Scheme, the scheme offers unpublished writers the chance to network with fellow writers, agents and publishers…and includes many more membership benefits.

 

Hello Kate – Thank you for joining me on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat, today. As we whizz through a few Questions & Answers, hopefully, readers and followers can gain an insight into some of the things that matter to you as a writer. It's a chance for all of us to get to know you a little as you make your way towards the publication of your novel. So, let's get started... 😊

 

Arabella:  How did you hear about or discover: The Romantic Novelists’ Association - New Writers’ Scheme?

Kate:  I learned of the RNA through a reading-buddy in a Facebook group called The Fiction Cafe Book Club. She very quickly became a writing-buddy - the lovely Julie Morris.


Arabella:  What is your romance genre and why have you chosen this particular type of novel to write?

Kate:  I struggle to pinpoint my exact genre, having written one contemporary romance suspense manuscript, and now a historical romance. A third idea is an intergenerational friendship-based contemporary story. If I realise my dream to find an agent, perhaps they’ll help me to hone one genre!

 

Arabella:  When and where do you write? Early mornings when the world is still sleeping? Late afternoons when you’ve time to relax? Or other opportune moments…?

Kate:  This summer I turned a box room upstairs into my writing room, to keep it separate from the farm accounts desk which is in the busy thoroughfare that is our hallway. Upstairs, I can close the door and stare out into the fields, put some music on and type undisturbed. I just hope my self-assembled desk and chair don’t give way!




Arabella:  Do you have anyone supporting your writing endeavours? Friends, family, writing groups, etc?

Kate:  My musings blog has been fairly stagnant for six months while I allocate my rare writing time to my novel and, more recently, weekly zoom workshops with Anstey Harris. I watched her win her award at the RONAs in March, and immediately bought her winning title, 'The Truths & Triumphs of Grace Atherton’. I fell in love with her writing, and then discovered she is a tutor. I left school at 16, and had many gaping holes where knowledge should be!

 

Arabella: You’ve arranged to meet up with friends and family for an afternoon of fun. Where do you go and what do you do?

Kate:  I miss meeting friends in Covent Garden, securing an upstairs table at the Punch & Judy and sipping a spritzer overlooking the cobbles where street entertainers brighten any day.

 


Arabella:  So…you are a member of the RNA’s – NWS which means you are in the throes of writing the next bestseller.

No spoilers and without revealing too much about your plot… (otherwise, someone might pinch your great story ideas before they’ve been published… J ) Tell us briefly about the romance you’ve submitted to the RNA’s - New Writers’ Scheme for a friendly critique, before approaching an agent or publisher with your completed manuscript.

Kate:  My suffragette novel went through the NWS system this summer and I had some wonderful advice from my Reader in the Report. So many details I’d not given enough thought to and to have the opportunity to improve those, and to develop the plot is essential. It would be so easy to waste a one-to-one opportunity and submit a first draft, thinking it was good enough. I’ve since gone back to the drawing board and had some further help from a mentor and am about to embark on a serious edit during the remaining weeks of 2020!

 

Thank you so much for sharing something about yourself with us, Kate.

Meanwhile, best wishes for any NWS works in progress, and I hope your manuscripts find a home with the romance agent or publisher of your dreams.

Arabella

www.arabellasheen.co.uk

 

About  Kate Frances 



 

I live on a Suffolk farm with my husband of twenty-six years. Our two grown-up children still spend time with us by choice, so we’ve done okay in the parenting department!  I’ve run my own horse-rug cleaning and repairing business in a workshop here for fourteen years and last year was allocated the role of farm secretary by my seventy-something father in law, so that’s been a baptism of fire!

I’ve read more novels since I’ve started writing and there’s nothing I prefer than sinking into my old and thinning beanbag with an emotional yarn.

 

Social Media Links:

Facebook: Kate Baker

Instagram: katefranceswrites

Twitter: @BleuViola 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing a Regency Romance - Arabella Sheen

  Writing a Regency romance can be a delightful endeavor! Here are some key elements to keep in mind: 1. Historical Accuracy : Research the...