Wednesday 24 February 2021

Welcome to Romance Author - Lesley Field

I’m delighted to welcome Historical and Contemporary Author - Lesley Field to my blog. 


Lesley Field - Author

Hello Lesley – It was lovely to connect with you through the Romantic Novelists’ Association and I’m so pleased you are able to appear as a guest on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat this week. But before we discover more about your latest release, Saunders-Sisters and Lovers, there are a few questions which will hopefully give your readers and followers an insight into some of the things that matter to you.


Arabella: We all love the creativity of writing – otherwise we wouldn’t spend hours at a keyboard pounding away in the hope someone will read and enjoy our novels. But what do you like most about our craft?

The editing and proofreading, the author/reader relationship, promotional book signings, or is there something else that has you hooked to the world of books?

Lesley:  The thing I love most is the ability to be able to sit at the laptop and let my imagination fly. To take my characters on a journey that even I wasn’t sure, at the beginning, where it would end. What other job allows you to plan someone else’s life just the way you want it to turn out. I enjoy interacting with my readers. Finding out what they liked or disliked about a particular book. My books are definitely for the over 18’s, so sometimes a reader will say there was too much sex in a book so I’ll keep that in mind when writing in the future. Overall, I love writing and if I write a book that one person enjoys then I’m happy.



Arabella: Who or what inspired you to write your latest release, Saunders-Sisters and Lovers?

Lesley:  My latest novel, due for release on 2nd March 2021 is, “Saunders-Sisters and Lovers.” It’s the third book in a series about the Saunders family who own hotels in Banff and Canmore, in the heart of the Canadian Rockies. It’s the final book in the series. I was inspired to write this series as Canada is the home of my heart. I love the country and Banff is my special place. The reason for this is set out in a Forward note from me at the beginning of each book. I visit as often as I can, although at the moment covid is keeping me away. Writing a novel set in Banff was supposed to be just a one off. But then a sequel to it popped into my head as my husband and I were on a coach tour in America. It wouldn’t leave me alone, so I ended up making numerous notes as we were travelling. When we got home it was a case of hitting the laptop and writing the book. Then along came book three. Again completely out of the blue. I’ve fallen in love with the Saunders family, but I feel that now is the time to leave them to their lives. That doesn’t mean to say they won’t get a mention in any other novel I may write which is set in Banff. All the covers for the Saunders series have been adapted from my own holiday photos, which makes the books extra special.

 

Arabella:  You are out for a walk and see a twenty-pound note (or a twenty-dollar bill, etc.) lying on the road. What do you do with the unclaimed funds?

Lesley:  If there is no one around I’d take it to the nearest police station. If it wasn’t claimed and was returned to me, I’d give it to a local charity. Hope that doesn’t make me sound like Miss Goody Two shoes!!


Arabella: Some authors cannot work without a business planner, others cannot write without an editing app…  Are there any “essentials” you need to help your writing move forward?

Lesley: All I need is time, plus peace and quiet to let my imagination fly. I have wonderful conversations with my characters, but sometimes they do get a bit bossy. Then I need to take them in hand.



 

 

Arabella: An Indian Curry, Italian Paste Bake, Fish and Chips, or ______?

Lesley:  Italian Pasta Bake could have me, but more likely it would be a lasagne (meat or vegetarian) with a side helping of salad and chips. (Got to have the greenery in there).

 

Lasagne

Arabella: If the person of your dreams, (husband/wife/partner/or superstar), were to take you out for the day, social distancing restrictions permitting, where would they take you and what would you do?

Lesley: If we were at home then it would be to Sewerby Hall and Gardens, which is not too far away from us. We’d park there and walk along the cliff top to Bridlington. Then we’d have lunch in one of our favourite restaurants there before walking back to Sewerby. We’d round the day off with a walk around Sewerby gardens and then pop into the cafe for a latte.

In we were in Canada, specifically Banff, we would drive out to Moraine Lake then walk/climb to the top of the moraine and look out at the stunning scenery before us. Moraine Lake itself, surrounded by mountains is our favourite place. It’s rugged, beautiful and spectacular all at the same time. To finish off the day we’d have a steak dinner in our favourite restaurant, Melissa’s, once we were back in Banff.

 

Arabella: Do you have any great writing, publishing, or marketing tips you would like to share with “want-to-be” authors starting out on their writing journey?

Lesley:  The biggest tip of all that I could give is, don’t give up. I’ve had more rejections that I care to remember, even after I’d had several books published, one of which was shortlisted for Historical Novel of the Year 2016 by the Romantic Novelists Association. It’s disheartening to get a rejection, but it’s never personal. The other thing you must do is to keep reading. I read in both my genres and I push myself to read something that is sometimes outside my comfort zone, just to see what other authors write. It also pays to join various author/writer Facebook groups and you should also publicise on a number of Kindle groups. How often you publicise depends on you, sometimes I find time is the biggest problem with this, there aren’t enough hours in a day.

 

Thank you for joining me on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat, Lesley. Wishing you lots of walks in your favourite parks and gardens – weather and Covid rules permitting.

All the best for your latest release - Saunders-Sisters and Lovers

Arabella

www.arabellasheen.co.uk


 

About  Lesley Field


Lesley Field - Author
 

Lesley Field was born and grew up on Teesside, in the North East of England She enjoyed riding and reading and later spent most of her working life pursuing personal injury claims on behalf of claimants. When retirement came she kicked off the restraints of the law and discovered her real self. What she discovered or re-discovered was writing something she’d dabbled in when she was in her teens. Although writing contemporary fiction set in Canada, she also writes historical fiction, set in London in and around the Regency period. Using her love of Canada and her enjoyment of horses she brings both to her books.

Lesley is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association coming in through their New Writers Scheme. Having now progressed to full membership she is also a member of ROMNA and a member of Promoting Yorkshire Authors.

Happily living on the North Yorkshire coast with her husband she spends her days enjoying life, and writing.


Social Media Links:.

Websitehttps://lesleyfield.com

Facebook Author Page:  Lesley Field @lesleyfield2author

Personal - https://www.facebook.com/lesley.field.79

Twitter - Lesley Field @lesleyfield2

Author bio link for MuseItUp publishing   http://bit.ly/LesleyField


 

BOOK BLURB   Saunders-Sisters and Lovers


 

When you are starting a new life the last thing you need is the old one creating problems.

Sam thought returning from honeymoon and settling into married life would be easy. But when one problem, in the form of her parents turning up insisting she’d made a mistake and needed to seek an annulment, was quickly followed by another it was too much. When both problems needed to be kept apart, it was time to seek outside help.

Keeping her attractive but wayward sister Victoria (Vicky) hidden away at the Canmore hotel seemed an easy solution, but she’d not factored in the attraction of the manager, Steve Barrett.

One wayward sister, one determined manager led to a fiery relationship. But when outside forces interfere, and lies and trickery bring about mistrust, will Vicky do what she usually does, run?

Can Sam make her sister see sense?  Will she and Corey be able to re-unite the couple?

Or is this one act of trickery that cannot be undone...


Amazon Author Page and Buy Links

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lesley-Field/e/B013YTDDP2?ref

All of Lesley’s books are available on Amazon. She has one novel “Betrayal,” published by Crooked Cat Books, the other five, plus the one to be released on 2nd March, are published by MuseItUp Publishing. Details and links for each can be found on her Amazon Author page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Forbidden Stowaway - Arabella Sheen - EXCERPT 2

   Chapter One - Excerpt 2 Olivia was taken to the back of the tavern, where the landlady pulled aside a dark velvet curtain to reveal a ro...