Wednesday 28 April 2021

Welcome to Romance Author - Victoria Cooke

I’m delighted to have romance author, Victoria Cooke on my blog.


Victoria Cooke - Author

Hi Victoria – It was lovely to connect with you via the Romantic Novelists’ Association and I’m pleased to hear you have a new book on the horizon. But before we discover more about The Single Mum’s Book Club, here are a few questions that will hopefully give your readers and followers an insight into some of the things that matter to you.


Arabella: We all love the creativity of writing – otherwise we wouldn’t spend hours at a keyboard pounding away in the hope someone will read and enjoy our novels. But what do you like most about our craft?

The editing and proofreading, the author/reader relationship, promotional book signings, or is there something else that has you hooked to the world of books?

Victoria:  I love the mystery of writing the first draft. Terry Pratchett once said ‘writing the first draft is just you telling yourself the story’ and it’s true, that’s why I enjoy it so much. Even with the most in-depth planning, the story can evolve in the most surprising of ways and I love that. My second favourite part of the process is the line-editing phase. That’s the part where we can really hone in on how we say things; can that line be funnier, more vivid, sassier or more emotive etc. I also love it when a reader tells me they enjoyed one of my stories, it makes the hard work worthwhile.



Arabella: Who or what inspired you to write your latest release, The Single Mum’s Book Club?

Victoria:  The Single Mum’s Book Club was inspired by my own experiences of being a working mum. I’m the disorganised mum who packs the PE bag at the last minute, forgets about the PTA bake sale and sends her children to school with their breakfast in their hands. A few of my friends once suggested we start a book club and we never got around to it (we got as far as setting up a Whatsapp group). You’ll see in the story that the characters are pretty terrible book-clubbers too.

 

Arabella:  You are out for a walk and see a twenty-pound note (or a twenty-dollar bill, etc.) lying on the road. What do you do with the unclaimed funds?

Victoria:  I’d ask around to try to reunite it with its owner. If that failed, I’d donate it to charity.

 

Arabella: Some authors cannot work without a business planner, others cannot write without an editing app…  Are there any “essentials” you need to help your writing move forward?

Victoria:  Coffee. I’m not a huge planner. I do plan but then I hardly ever refer back to it or I lose my notebook etc. I always have my copy of Save The Cat and The Emotional Thesaurus on hand though.



Arabella: An Indian Curry, Italian Paste Bake, Fish and Chips, or ______?

Victoria:  This is why I love those ‘buffets from around the world’ places — you can have all of the above! On a normal day, it would depend on what mood I’m in but there are very few foods I don’t like.

 

Arabella: If the person of your dreams, (husband/wife/partner/or superstar), were to take you out for the day, social distancing restrictions permitting, where would they take you and what would you do?

Victoria:  I love a trip to the seaside. Reading a book on a beach followed by fish and chips would be perfect.



Arabella: Do you have any great writing, publishing, or marketing tips you would like to share with “want-to-be” authors starting out on their writing journey?

Victoria:  It’s what everyone always says but you have to write. It doesn’t matter if you feel it’s terrible, it can be improved but you have to have something to work with. I’d also recommend signing up to a few writing courses (there are some free ones that are really useful). I did a couple and they really helped me to start out. Finally, you need to get used to letting people read your work. I used to blog about my writing journey. I’d write about time management, finding inspiration, editing, etc. as well as publishing short stories just to get used to people commenting on my work. It can feel like quite a big step at first but it’s good to get used to feedback early on.


Victoria, thank you for being a guest on Arabella’s Blog and Chit-Chat, today. A trip to the seaside and a walk along the beach as the waves hit the shore sounds lovely.

Wishing you the best for your latest release, The Single Mum’s Book Club

Arabella

www.arabellasheen.co.uk




 

About  Victoria Cooke

Victoria Cooke - Author

Victoria Cooke grew up in the city of Manchester before crossing the Pennines in pursuit of a career in education. She now lives in Huddersfield with her husband and two young daughters and when she's not at home writing by the fire with a cup of coffee in hand, she loves working out in the gym and travelling. Victoria was first published at the tender age of eight by her classroom teacher who saw potential in a six-page story about an invisible man. Since then she's always had a passion for reading and writing, undertaking several writers' courses before completing her first novel, 'The Secret to Falling in Love,' in 2016.

 

Book Blurb   The Single Mum’s Book Club



Three friends, three single mums, one quest to find love…

It’s 8:30am and I’m already utterly exhausted. My son has lost his football boots, my daughter is ready for school dressed only in her vest and knickers, and of course, my 1-year-old has filled his nappy for what feels like the tenth time this morning.

As for my husband? He’s decided marriage doesn’t suit him, and well… buggered off.

All hope of ‘me time’ has but dwindled to sipping half a glass of wine whilst shouting after the kids. But everything is about to change.

I’m taking control of my life! I’ve joined… a book club.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. ‘Wow… live a little.’ But my fellow book clubbers, Amanda and Janey, are my lifelines. They understand the daily struggle because they’re mothers too.

And in between the prosecco, Doritos and googling everything about Mr Darcy on SparkNotes, they’ve convinced me to go on a date with my boss.

A single mum of three looking for romance… what could possibly go wrong?

BUY LINK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08Z7WM5P5/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forbidden Stowaway - Arabella Sheen - EXCERPT 2

   Chapter One - Excerpt 2 Olivia was taken to the back of the tavern, where the landlady pulled aside a dark velvet curtain to reveal a ro...